Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Iroz picture for Emily




Emily called the other day asking whether she remembered me telling her about a town named Iroz in the Basquelands. There is in fact a town between Valcarlos and Pamplona on the Santiago pilgramage trail (Highway N-135) that is named Iroz (also Urroz and Irotz on the various maps). This is a picture of me standing in front of the sign (2005).


Just to the northeast of Irunea (Pamplona in Spanish) on this Basque names only map is a little town named Irotz. I believe the is the town the picture is from. (See the rest of this site for other good Basque maps)

Here is another map. It is of the Santiago trail. Note Valcarlos and Pamplona on the map.

2 comments:

Aurelie said...

great post. Like your new look!

Anonymous said...

cute picture of you Nicoly and if ever I get to go there I will refer back to here. I do so hope I can someday. I like your new look also. Mostly I like getting the posts. Put some recent pictures in. Love you both. xoxoxoxox