Well, I tried to write a posting in Chicago to show everyone some of the better pictures from my architecture tour, but for some reason the pictures wouldn’t upload. So I gave up; maybe I’ll go back and finish the post later this week. Other than that, Chicago was quite nice. Justin was quite the busy networker, but we still had time for friends and good food.
Right now I am sitting on the Empire Builder train next to the Columbia River dividing the state of Washington from that of Oregon. In a few hours I will be back in Portland and a few more hours past that in the classroom. Last night, as we were approaching Glacier National Park and the Continental Divide in northern Montana, it was looking sketchy if I would actually get back to Portland in time for class. Apparently, passenger trains cannot go if the winds are sustained at 65 miles per hour or more, particularly when crossing bridges. The weather service was projecting 80-90 miles per hour! They stopped us for about 45 minutes, but then the winds died down. Overnight we were able to make up almost all of it.
My classes for the next 10 weeks should be pretty nice. I am taking 4 courses: Economic and Spatial Structures, Qualitative Methods, Professional Ethics for Planners, and Cities in the Global Political Economy. They should keep me pretty busy. Except for the Econ and Spatial Structures (which will primarily be review for me), I am quite excited for all of them.
Monday, January 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey nicole glad to see you are back to blogging. Your studies seem so much cooler than mine. My landlord is a friend and an orthopedic surgeon at my school and he married a girl from germany who is working on her PhD in engineering. We were talking one day about medicine and studying other things and such and he said something interesting. He said that he was remorseful at time studying medicine because it seems as though all other subjects you can study you would know if you are good at it or not immediately. If you study engineering, art, urban planning, etc. you probably do so because you know you are good at it where as medicine you study and you don't know if you are good at it until many years after you are done with your education. I only mention this because the fact that I am older and in school presents a challenge in this way: all I have been thinking about is how you can't put life off and you have to enjoy things while you are doing them otherwise you finish them and kick yourself for not having had fun while you were in the process...I hope that you are having fun in the process of studying urban planning. It seems like a really cool subject and I heard that Portland (PSU??) is one of the best places to study and Portland was voted best designed city in America? P.S. I got a folding bicycle when I was back in NY and now it's with me here in Prague....I love folding it up and putting it with all the dirty shoes by the front door of the apartment.
Post a Comment