Friday, March 06, 2009

The main stressor of our lives right now

Disclaimer: I hesitate to write this. First, I'm skeptical of posting much about employers on the internet and apologize if the post is a little cryptic. Second, I don't want to sound ungrateful. Many people are much, much worse off than we are right now. There are many who would give their left arm for a quandary similar to ours. But still, it has been stressful.

We still don't know where we will be living or who Justin will working for come August. J's current employer said it doesn't want him permanently. Actually, we knew this about 2 months ago. But after a roller coaster ride related to crazy academic job market realities, they have said they would like him back next year.

So what is the problem? We love living here and it is great for my schooling. Sadly, it is our understanding that there is zero chance for employment with the current employer one year out.

We aren't exactly relishing the idea of an academic job market that starts opening up positions in Oct of 2009. If the numerous job openings we've seen canceled is any indication, we think it will probably be the worst academic job market in several generations.

In fact, J is tired of the market altogether. Consequently, he has several job apps out to JC type institutions in a state that is having some pretty extreme budget issues. Who knows when or if they will hire.

Current job wants an answer early next week. Yuck.

So, J called up past employer in Ohio. They are fairly sure (I'd put it at about 90%) that they can have a job for him next year. Someone is leaving and he can slide in as the replacement. Once there, the job is more safe than most year-by-year academic contracts. It is somewhere we could camp out for several years. Besides, we still have the house there, decent pay, contacts, etc. Makes the dissertation a bit tougher, and I don't love the city like here, but it would probably work.

The good and bad news about old employer is they don't give out contracts until mid-summer. It would allow the JC thing to play out. But, we wouldn't be 100% certain that the job is available until then either. It basically means we would be at least a slight bit uncertain about next school year for at least 3 or so more months. What to do, what to do?

Again, I suppose this is a better problem than many. But it is stressing us out.

4 comments:

Pamela Williams said...

sorry to hear that nicole. im glad youre able to look at it somewhat positively, these are tough times! im scared about the future but i try to avoid sounding ungrateful too...

wish you guys the best, love you

Amanda said...

Yeah, that really stinks. I'm probably going to have to finish up my dissertation from afar (though probably just the last semester) and it really does seem a lot harder. I hate the whole academic job thing already, but mostly just because Katsu has to get a post-doc so I feel like that is academia limbo. Hopefully, some best case scenario will work out well for everyone.

Nicole said...

Amanda,

Two (3 or 4!) body academic issues do stink...even though you know it going in. The post-doc thing is limbo even without the 2 body problem.

If you can get through your program with two kids and only 1 semester behind Katsu, I will be super impressed!

Amy said...

That sounds stressful. I pray that everything will work out for you - the Lord works in mysterious ways!!! I wouldn't mind if you moved back to Vegas - does UNLV want you???