Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Portland Story

So, this morning we were walking out in the beautiful sunshine to a coffee shop for pastries. We reached the corner of the main street, Hawthorne and there was a bit of a pedestrian traffic jam to cross the street. A local resturant owner was drawing waffles on the sidewalk w/ colored chalk to prompt people to turn the corner and get a waffle at his weekend "waffle window."

On the same corner was a family of four... children elementary school age or so. One of the children pointed to something... and the mom responded with "Oh! that's a rat." I look down and sure enough, a rat in the the gutter 2 feet away. Before I could even process why a rat would be out in the middle of the day, the mom noted that it was hurt. Of course, by this point all 7 of us (the family and our family) are in the middle of the busy crosswalk, so we all keep walking. We get to the other side, Justin and I slightly disgusted by the rat. The family stops. And starts talking, starting with...

"We need to do something. Should we call the Humane Society?"

Justin and I kept walking... Justin muttering "I think pest control is more like it."



PS to Mari - how does this compare with bugs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I would call the health deparment. Hope it wasn't carrying bumonic plague. Yeck! Did it look sick or maimed in some way. Sick I would be afraid of. Nicole I love the picture of you and Martin that you posted a few days ago. I think motherhood makes you even mo beautiful. It's also nice to get rid of all that water and excess stuff huh. You look great! Of course Martin is pretty cute too. Can't wait to see you all.