Thursday, July 02, 2009

Posting from our new city....

..... which would be....

(Do you know your skylines?)


(How about bridges?)



After much drama, including verbally accepting a different position, only to be offered a couple of weeks later this position, both positions being conditional upon board of trustees actually being able to find budget for hires (seeing as California may come to a grinding halt any day now), etc, we know where we will be next year, the year after, and potentially for the rest of our lives. Justin has taken a tenure track job at City College in San Francisco. Hurray!

Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel room. Justin is off taking care of HR paperwork and meeting up with some colleagues. Martin is sleeping. He is exhausted since (a) he refuses to sleep in his car seat anymore (b) he had this nasty fall yesterday and has this big goose egg on his forehead and a raspberry from the tip of his nose to his upper lip, and (c) I woke him early this morning so we could finish unpacking the Uhaul from Oregon into a 8x8x8 storage unit.

So, obviously, we have not found a place to live if we are putting stuff in storage. Seeing as the position was only finalized less than a week ago, we just couldn't get a place fast enough to accommodate the 30 day notice we gave upon accepting the other position in late May. The plan is for a 2 week road trip to SLC and LAS, another 10 days here to look for a place (with the ability to stay at a gracious collegue/friend's home while they are away on vacation for free), a month in Ohio (J is teaching, we have one apartment turning over, one bathroom to tile, and a basement to clean out and transfer to the west coast), and then life in San Francisco. We can't wait!

In other news (news that would be so big that it would deserve its own post except for, well, moving to SF is pretty big news), I've passed my exams for my PhD program! We packed the moving van on Monday and on Tuesday, I spent 2 hours orally defending ~50 pages of written work I had given to my committe after taking two 2-day exams in the previous weeks. Afterwards, I celebrated by driving south on I-5!

Anyhow, this means I am officially done with coursework and moving onto my dissertation. I've also been awarded a small fellowship for next school year. Not only is it nice to have the tuition paid, etc, but it also greatly incentivizes me showing up in Portland on a regular basis. This also means dissertation progress is likely.

So that is what we are up to. My camera needs a new battery and life is pretty crazy (obviously), but I will try to keep the blog a bit more up to date as the summer progresses.

3 comments:

Amy said...

your life sounds CRAZY!!! Congrats on the new job and your PHD exams :) If you have time while you are in Vegas I would love to see you!

Pamela Williams said...

nicole - first, congrats on passing all your phd exams. im super proud of you! this past year has been crazy but you pulled through! not that im surprised...but i look up to you!

second, cant wait to see you (LAS is the airport code for vegas right?). when is the estimated arrival date? third, i havent been to SF in seven or eight years, so im already planning a trip

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Congratulations Nicole. Good job! Maybe I can get Grandpa to take me to San Fransico some time. He doesn't have happy memories of it and isn't one of his favorite places. Take care and hope all goes well. We are at the cabin but hope to see you sometime soon. Martin is changing so and growing up so fast. We love you.